The Institute of Mathematics Education Freiburg (IMEF) is committed to five key issues:
- The Investigation of processes of teaching and learning mathematics, building an empirical foundation for the development and optimization of mathematics teaching (see research),
- Up to date and grade-specific training for future teachers, combining reflected mathematics, and didactic concepts with results of empirical classroom research and school practice. (see teaching).
- Grade-specific and practically relevant teacher training guarantees to provide modern, competence -oriented and learner centred ideas for math classes in school. (see practice)
- Publishership of teacher magazines and authorship of handbooks covering all aspects of teaching mathematics at school. (see practice)
- Intensive promotion of young academics in the context of research projects and the involvement in KeBU, a cooperation of academics and scientists of the University of Freiburg and the University of Education Freiburg.