Welcome to the PH Freiburg!
The Freiburg University of Education is a university-ranked institution of higher education with the right to award doctorates and post-doctoral qualifications and is entrusted with the corresponding tasks in educational (basic) research, research-oriented teaching, academic continuing education and the promotion of young academics.
Approximately 5,000 students are currently studying at the University of Education Freiburg - they are supervised by 250 staff members. With a wide range of Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes, the university offers excellent research-based undergraduate and postgraduate education, which are characterised by a high degree of coherently integrated and professionally supervised theoretical and practice-oriented components. Since the switch of the state examination to the Bologna structure, the University of Education has been cooperating closely with the Albert Ludwig University and the Freiburg University of Music. The School of Education FACE ("Freiburg Advanced Center of Education") has given teacher training in Freiburg a new direction.
In its recent plan for the development and structure of the University of Education Freiburg has put into writing the following strategies:
- Promoting young researchers: High-level educational research combined with the systematic, structured promotion of young researchers is denoted as a long-term goal.
- Developing degree programmes and university teaching: Science-oriented teacher education is central to university courses in Freiburg. Teaching degree programmes are focused on the primary level to the lower secondary level and are being extended to the upper secondary level (e.g. degrees in technical subjects for vocational schools, as Joint Programmes in co-operation with the University of Applied Sciences in Offenburg). In addition, teacher education for upper secondary will be further extended at the University of Education, Freiburg, particularly in co-operation with the Excellence Universities of Konstanz and Freiburg.
- Enhancing scientific professional development: The University of Education, Freiburg should play a major role as a partner for teacher professionalization in the second phase (postgraduate teacher training) and the third phase (in-service teacher education).
In addition, it will become a relevant source for consultancy and research in educational fields of application, and create demand for in-service teacher education courses (e.g. quality representatives in schools). Further, PHFR has already participated in a high number of research and development projects at national and international levels as coordinator and partner. The university cooperates with a multitude of partner universities around the globe and wishes to strengthen and extend its ties with both European and non-European institutions.
You can find more information here
Quickly avoid the traffic jam. Travel to the congress in comfort by train. Frankfurt Airport train station is only a 2-hour train ride away.
Freiburg is ideally located close to the A5 Karlsruhe-Basel motorway. Coming from the east, you can reach us via the B31. From the west, you can reach us via the A5.
Either to Frankfurt Airport or to Euro-Airport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg
The Euro-Airport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg can be reached by a bus shuttle service in 55 minutes.
The PH Freiburg is located in the Littenweiler neighbourhood in the east part of the city of Freiburg. It is easy to reach by public transport, car or bicycle.
From Freiburg main station
- either take the train in the direction of Titisee (or Kirchzarten or Villingen) to Freiburg-Littenweiler station (the station is right next to the university, journey time just under 10 minutes, the train leaves at least every half hour)
- or by tram line 1, from the tram bridge over the main station to the final stop Laßbergstraße / Littenweiler. From there, walk approx. 200 m along Lindenmattenstraße to the Pädagogische Hochschule (total time approx. 20 min).
By car from Karlsruhe or Basel (A5 motorway)
Leave the motorway at the Freiburg-Mitte exit in the direction of Freiburg and continue straight ahead following the signs to "Titisee-Neustadt / Donaueschingen" (B 31). After approx. 10 km, shortly after the Ganter brewery, you will reach a tunnel entrance. Directly before the tunnel entrance, you must change to the left lane and drive past the tunnel on the left. Now follow the tram tracks until you reach the intersection at the terminal stop. At this intersection, turn right (sign PH Freiburg). After crossing the railway tracks, the university buildings are on the left and right of the road.
By car from the direction of Titisee-Neustadt
Take the B31 from the direction of Titisee / Neustadt. Shortly before Freiburg, however, leave the B31 in the direction of Littenweiler. Stay on Kappeler Strasse until you reach the intersection with Volksbank (on the right) and Badische Beamtenbank (on the left). At this intersection, turn left (sign PH Freiburg). After crossing the railway tracks, the university buildings are on the left and right of the road.
Venue of the conference:
Freiburg University of Education
Kunzenweg 21, 79117 Freiburg
Welcome to Freiburg!
With a population of around 230,000 Freiburg im Breisgau or simply Freiburg is located in the far Southwest of Germany. Freiburg is known for being the city with the most sunny days on average per year. Yet that is only one reason why many people want to live and work here. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the state of Baden-Württemberg. It is also the second youngest city in Germany with an average age of 39.8 years.
The proximity to France (Strasbourg 65 km) and Switzerland (Basel 53 km) make the city very attractive. And of course the beautiful landscape around Freiburg - in the East the famous Black Forest that extends into the city, in the West the open countryside and vineyards of the Rhine plain.
Freiburg's history, which dates back to the 11th century, can still be felt in the city's historic buildings and picturesque alleys. The medieval Schwabentor, the ornate facades of the buildings and of course Freiburg Cathedral form an exciting contrast to the city's modern, forward-looking architecture. In 2020, Freiburg celebrated its 900th anniversary. In Freiburg, the medieval alleys and the small open canals in the streets that meander through the city centre are popularly known as "Gässle" or "Bächle".
We are also, however, a city that is focused on the future: Research and the local economy are eager to develop new ideas. Freiburg is known worldwide as Green City Freiburg because of its early commitment to sustainability. The city strives to continue to be a model city in this regard.
So come and enjoy Freiburg on a stroll through the historic old town, the green Vauban quarter or soak up the southern flair in one of the beautifully landscaped gardens and parks.
More information on sights in Freiburg on Visit Freiburg website.