To apply you need to have:
a BA degree from a university, university of education or private university (based on 3 years of study) in any discipline (need not be language- or teaching-related) with 180, 210 or 240 credit points
one year of full-time work experience (longer if you have worked part-time) in the field of education or in a language-related area (the equivalent of 60 credit points)
good target language competence (English – Level B2 of the Common European Framework for Languages or equivalent)
Everybody needs to submit their application in writing to the admissions office:
University of Education Freiburg
D- 79117 Freiburg
Applicants should also send their applications as e-mails with all relevant scanned documents attached to:
- Prof. Annika Kolb (annika.kolb(at)ph-freiburg.de) and
- Admissions Secretary Nicole Seiter (nicole.seiter(at)ph-freiburg.de).
Applicants without a German university degree additionally need to apply via uni-assist.
Uni-assist evaluates your certificates and documents according to the E-LINGO admission criteria. If all criteria are met, uni-assist forwards your application to the University of Education Freiburg where the admission process starts. Uni-assist will inform you of the evaluation by email and by post.
If you are unsure about your qualifications, please check your qualifications with uni-assist.
We realize that, due to the Covid-19 outbreak and subsequent lockdowns, many of you are experiencing great difficulties in organizing translations and certified copies of documents. We have informed uni-assist that in the first instance we will accept scans of original certificates, but reserve the right to ask to see the originals at a later date.
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae in English
- *School-leaving certificates which qualify the holder for undergraduate study at university (e.g. Germany – Abitur; UK – A-levels). These may vary from country to country.
- *Certificate for a university degree (240 ECTS) or – in case of fewer credit points – proof of any other relevant experience and/or vocational qualifications
- *Evidence of qualified employment in the field of education or in a language-related area of at least one year’s duration (proportionally longer if employment was part-time) qualified employment
- *Evidence of the required English language ability. If you are a native speaker of the English language or have completed your undergraduate study in English, evidence is not needed. See language requirements
- Personal statement in English explaining why you want to take part in the course (max. 3,000 words )
- Signed statement in which you confirm that the personal statement is your own work
- *Transcript of Records and Diploma Supplement (if available) of the applicant’s first degree (see point 4 above)
- You should also write a statement confirming that you have neither failed nor been excluded from the Master’s examination in this degree course or one with similar content at the Freiburg University of Education or any other university.
*The documents listed from point 3 to point 6 and in point 9 must be submitted as copies of the originals and should be in German or English. Any translations must be officially certified. The University reserves the right to ask to see the originals at immatriculation.
Qualified employment in the field of education or in a language-related field could include employment in:
- pre-school institutions (state or private), e.g. as kindergarten teachers, nursery nurses or playgroup leaders.
- primary, secondary or further education (state or private), e.g. in state schools, children’s university, as private tutors, in language schools, at adult education centres or other cultural non-profit institutions (e.g. Institut Francais, British Council, Goethe Institut) or at universities.
- publishing houses specializing in educational materials, e.g as author, consultant, developer of teaching materials.
- other language-related fields, e.g. as translator, reader or editor, multilingual administrative assistant, or event manager.
Supporting documents must be verified (signed) and should be submitted with the application and should not be older than 10 years. Examples of supporting documents are:
- certificates showing that the candidate has taken part in in-service training, workshops, internships,
- certification given by employers (with details of the type of employment) or
- internship protocols.
The University requires applicants to provide satisfactory evidence of their achievement and reserves the right to verify all qualifications declared by an applicant.
For applicants with a non-English-speaking educational background:
The following internationally recognized language certificates are accepted for entry into the course:
- TOEFL (paper: 572 pts., computer-based: 227 pts., internetbased [iBT]: 87 pts.): Test of English as a Foreign Language des Educational Testing Service (ETS),
- FCE (First Certificate in English), Cambridge ESOL, Grade B2,
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System), Cambridge ESOL, Band 5.
- international language certificates at or above B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference , e.g.
- CAE (Certificate in Advanced English), Cambridge ESOL, Grade C1,
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English), Cambridge ESOL, Grade C2.
- a university degree in English or as a joint degree with English.
- the European baccalaureate with English as first or second subject (pass)
- work experience in an English-speaking country of at least two years duration (or part-time equivalent).
For applicants with an English-speaking educational background:
- school-leaving certificate (e.g. A-levels etc.) which qualifies the holder for entry to university
- a university degree completed in an English-speaking country.
Language tests must have been completed within 5 years of the starting date of E-LINGO, other courses must have been completed within 10 years of the starting date of E-LINGO.
► Degree: M.A. in Teaching English to Young Learners (pre-school and primary school)
► Duration: 2 years
► Start: October (every two years; next start in October 2022)
► NEW Starting 2022: face-to-face meetings in hybrid format (can be attended virtually, if necessary)
The E-LINGO programme starts once every two years in October. The next course will start in October 2022.
Application period: February 1st until May 31st in the year the course starts
The following form needs to be submitted for application.
2300 € tuition + 165 € immatriculation fee (both per semester)