Welcome at the PH Freiburg!

We want your stay with us to be an unforgettable experience. PH Freiburg offers classes with high academic level and, depending on the courses you select, seminars with rather small groups of students. In order to get to know you, we organize various socializing events during the course of your stay.

In the room of the "Internationalen Treff" , KG III 003, you find games, literature and suggestions for trips in the area. You also have the option to meet and get to know students from other study programmes here.

We regularly invite our incoming students to meetings in order to give them the possibility to discuss - and to share a meal.

Preparing your study abroad experience at PH Freiburg

In order to be able to apply at PH Freiburg, your home institution needs to nominate you as an exchange student.

After receiving this nomination, we will contact you and send you a link to our application platform Mobility Online.

After a successful application, you will get your letter of acceptance through this platform. The maximum stay for an exchange student is two terms.

International students without a suitable level of German will find a variety of courses in the English Department and other subject areas taught in English. These courses are suitable for native and non-native speakers of English, students enrolled in teacher training  and students of other subject areas wishing to extend their intercultural knowledge. A B2 level of English is required to attend these classes. A special intercultural training is offered to international guest students. Details will be given after arrival. 

The academic programme / course calendar is updated at the end of July for the winter term and at the end of February for the summer term. All courses are available at LSF.

International students with a suitable level of German (B2 or higher) are welcome to take part in any programme or course at the University of Education.

A level of B2 (European Frame of Reference) in either German or English is required if you intend to attend the regular courses at our university. You are not allowed to participate in our regular course offer if your language skills do not meet the requirements. For students with a lower level of German or English we offer a special programme with a limited range of courses.

Upon application you need to present a language certificate for each language you wish to study in (German, English, French). You may use a certificate of your home university.

Additionally, your language skills will  be tested after your arrival. This test is the basis for the selection of your classes here.

In order to improve your German language skills, we recommend to attend the classes offered at our Language Centre as well as the intensive language courses offered at the University of Freiburg.

We expect you to select a minimum of five classes per term. In addition, you have to participate in our orientation week programme. You need to get a minimum of 15 credits and you can select a maximum of 30 ECTS per term.

After your stay, you will receive a Transcript of Records on which the classes you successfully completed as well as the ECTS you received will be listed. The person responsible for the ToRs in our office is Julia Salzmann.

You will find the list of courses (which you will need to create your Learning Agreement) on the  LSF-Hochschulportal when selecting "Veranstaltungen". Please choose "Vorlesungsverzeichnis". You will then have access to our different study programmes as well as to our offer for international exchange students ("Veranstaltungen für Austauschstudierende").

Please note that we require our exchange students to be present in all classes. You can miss each class twice during one term and still get the full amount of ECTS. You should inform your professor prior to missing a class.

Most of the student dorms are operated by the Freiburg Student Union Studierendenwerk Freiburg. Here you can find information about the rooms that are available on the campus of PH Freiburg.

Another option is to rent a room at the Studentensiedlung or Stusie.

If you want to apply for a room in the dorms, please tick the appropriate box in your application form on Mobility-Online. Please note that we are not responsible for the state or the equipment of your room.

Private accommodation

The private housing intermediation program offered by the Studierendenwerk Freiburg helps students to receive assistance in finding accommodation. For further information see here.

At the WG-Gesucht.de housing market you will find ads for flat shares, studio apartments, two or more bedroom apartments and houses for rent.

TheYouth Hostel (Jugendherberge)is within easy reach of the PH. A room costs approximately 25 € per night. It is shared with up to three people of the same gender. Two rooms share one bathroom. Information is available in German only.

Holiday apartments and Hotels

The Tourist Information office offers information in English.

You can rent a holiday apartment starting from around 50 € per night. Bear in mind that they will often be set up for couples and families (an apartment for two may only have one double bed and groups of students may not be accepted.)  You can also search on the Internet using the search term “Ferienwohnungen” (holiday apartments).

The cheapest rooms in a hotel without en-suite facilities tend to start at around 45 Euros. Rooms with en-suite facilities are likely to be between 80 to 100 Euros per night.

General information

The Baden-Württemberg-STIPENDIUM for University Students supports the international exchange of highly qualified German and international students. Each year, the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung (= foundation) enables some 1,500 young people from all over the world to study in a foreign country with the support of this scholarship. The exchange is based on reciprocity: The scholarships are divided equally between applicants from Baden-Württemberg universities and their partner universities abroad.

Target group:

University students with good to excellent results in all state and some private universities in Baden-Württemberg and their partner universities abroad.

3 – 11 months

Level of the scholarship:
We grant 950€ per month, which is sufficient for your monthly cost of living in Freiburg. We decided upon this sum because this is what is required in order to apply for a visa in Germany. You won't need another proof of finances for your visa if you receive this scholarshiop. 

How to apply

You don't apply directly for this scholarship, instead, you need to be nominated by your local study abroad coordinator at your home university. The nomination needs to be addressed to Julia Salzmann.Only students from outside the Erasmus Area are eligible for this scholarship.

Application procedure:

  • Once we have received your nomination, we will send you the link to the BWS portal where you need to upload your application documents.
  • After that, we will invite you to a zoom meeting, where we will ask you about your reasons for a stay in Baden-Württemberg and, more precisely, at PH Freiburg.
  • You will be informed about the result of your application through the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung.


In addition to the financial support, students that are supported by the Baden-Württemberg STIPENDIUM are also introduced in the broad network of alumni of this scholarship.

In our summer term you are invited to the summer party of the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung. In the winter term, the annual meeting takes place. At both events, a number of interesting workshops are offered, together with the opportunity to meet other scholarship holders from all over the world.

Academic studies at PH Freiburg

How to find us: Anfahrt und Lageplan of Pädagogische Hochschule Freiburg

At the end of this page, there are also some short videoclips that show the way from the tram station / Littenweiler train station to the PH campus and to the dorms at "StuSie".

Information about the German academic system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWyhOfniFpk

Tips and information about studying in Baden-Württemberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWyhOfniFpk

After your successful application, you will be enrolled at PH Freiburg. In order for us to do so, we need to have received the campus fee.

Re-Registration (“Rückmeldung”)

You have to re-register (“Rückmeldung”) in January for the summer term or in June for the winter term. Please ask at the International Office if you want to stay for more than one semester. Your home institution also needs to consent to this request. The campus fee has to be paid each semester.

Tuition fees: Students from our partner universities do not have to pay tuition fees.

Your student ID is called "PH Card". You can upload money on this card and use it to pay your meals at the Mensa, to print out documents in our computer labs, to use the washing machine and the dryer in the dorms etc. You will receive this card shortly after your arrival after we have received all necessary documents as well as the campus fee.

Upon presenting this card, you can also buy the Semester Ticket for all public transport in Freiburg and the surrounding area for a reduced fee.

Registering in Freiburg, opening a bank account, getting health insurance (if applicable), finishing your time table... we are happy to help you with all of these matters during our Orientation Week. This is why it is very important that you plan your arrival in such a way that you are able to participate in this offer!

Please note:

Non-European students who receive a German scholarship and/or rent a room with us need to open a German bank account. Usually, there are no fees. Please note that it might take between 5 to 7 business days before the account can be used.

For opening an account please take with you:

  • Letter of Acceptance
  • ID-Card or Passport
  • Address in Freiburg

You will receive further information on this matter after your arrival in Freiburg.


Our application platform Mobility Online is open during the following time periods:

  • Application for winter term: 01.06. – 15.07.
  • Application for summer term: 01.12. – 15.01.

Applications are not possible beyond these periods.

We ask you to provide the following documents once you are registered in our application platform:

  • Scan / copy of your passport (NON-EU citizens) / ID card (for EU citizens)
  • A picture of yourself, ideally width 330x, height 480 pixel
  • Signed application form
  • German Language Certificate
  • Health Insurance EHIC (Erasmus students)
  • Learning Agreement (ERASMUS students)
  • acceptance of room (if applicable)

Please upload all necessary documents on “Mobility Online”. As soon as you have accomplished every step, you will be able to download the acceptance letter and the official invitation. You need to print out your letter of acceptance and take it with you.

Rights of entry / necessary documents and information: You need to apply for a visa by yourself and on time. You will need a valid passport in order to do so. Please read the information of the Federal Foreign Office and the German Embassy for further information, e.g. regarding language requirements etc.(link see below).

Students from the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan can travel with a tourist visa! Please be aware that you should not travel via Switzerland in order to enter Germany. The residence permit can be applied for after arrival.

More Information about the visa and rights of entry may be found here: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/service/fragenkatalog-node/-/606772

As a student, and when living in Freiburg for longer than 4 weeks, you need to register at the Registration Office as a permanent resident. During the orientation week, we will offer support on how to proceed in this matter.

1. Documents that need to be handed in at the Registration Office:

  • ID-card / passport
  • Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (document that you receive from your landlord when you move in)
  • Visa (only applicable to those students who are required to apply for a visa)

2. Document that need to be handed in at the Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde):

All foreign students except nationals of EU and EEA countries have to go to the Immigration Office to apply for a residence permit.

Documents to be furnished when applying for a residence permit:

  • Your confirmation of registration issued by the Registration Office
  • Confirmation document of health insurance
  • Student ID-card from your university
  • Possibly, proof of sufficient financial resources – if not already verified when the visa was issued
  • Valid passport
  • Money to pay the residence permit fee (please ask at the Foreigners Registration Office in advance how much the rates are – in Freiburg approx. between 50 – 100 Euros). Do not forget to ask if there is a student discount available!

Students without a student visa or a tourist visa need to hand in the following documents:

  • Passport and passport size photo
  • A signed letter from your parents that they financially support you during your exchange
  • A scanned document of your parents' income as proof they can support your stay in Germany
  • Confirmation document of health insurance
  • Copy of your room rental contract
  • Certificate of enrolment or acceptance letter
  • 50 Euros in cash

Please make sure you are sufficiently insured during your journeyand your stay in Germany. It is your duty to ensure that your individual needs are covered! If you have questions please contact the International Office.

Before you can be enrolled as a student at the PH you need the confirmation of a compulsory health insurance (“Krankenversicherungsbescheinigung einer gesetzlichen Krankenkasse”) .

Students from EU countries, European Economic Area and Switzerland: Before you come to Germany you need to get a “European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)“ from the health insurance authorities in your home country. After arriving in Germany your EHIC needs to be presented at a local compulsory health insurance  (“gesetzliche Krankenkasse”) in order to receive the confirmation of compulsory health insurance that you need. We will provide help with this process during the Orientation Week.

For non- European students: In order to be enrolled as a student at the PH you will have to obtain a health insurance from one of the compulsory health insurance companies (“gesetzliche Krankenkasse”). If you obtain a valid health insurance in your home country the coverage needs to be equivalent to the coverage of a German health insurance. In this case you may apply for an exemption. We highly recommend opting for a German health insurance, since insurances from other countries are often not sufficient if you need comprehensive treatments (e.g. after an accident).

You can get a German health insurance during our orientation week; if you choose to do so, please be aware that you need proof of insurance for the first one or two weeks at Freiburg for the visa application process.

Help in getting an insurance will be provided during the Orientation Week.

Further information about health insurances may be found here: Website of the Deutsches Studentenwerk on health insurance

There are two terms at PH Freiburg:

The winter term starts at October 1 and ends on March 31.

The summer term starts on April 1 and ends on September 30.

Lectures in the winter semester usually start mid-October and finish mid-February. In the summer semester lectures begin mid-April and finish at the end of July. 

For our exchange students, we offer an Orientation about one or two weeks before lectures begin. At the end of each lecture period there is an Examination Week.

 Time of lecture:

  • "s. t." = sine tempore (lat.), i.e. lectures start at the given time, for example at 9:00 o'clock sharp.  
  • "c. t." = cum tempore (lat.), i.e. lectures start 15 minutes later than the given time, for example at 9:15 h.

Please check the course catalogue for the exact time of lectures.

Exchange students from our partner universities pay reduced campus fees (currently 84€  per semester). All information concerning this fee will be found in the letter of acceptance.

  • You need to transfer the semester fees to the bank account of the Pädagogische Hochschule before departure
  • Only if the Pädagogische Hochschule has received your semester fee, we will be able to hand out your student ID-Card (PH Card) after your arrival
  • Please remember to pay for the semester fees on time (at the end of the first semester), in case you stay for the whole academic year (for more information concerning a re-enrolment see below)

The International Office has a limited number of dorm rooms / apartments in the student residences of the “Studierendenwerk Freiburg” available for international students. These dorms are either situated on our campus (Kunzenweg) or in the „Studentensiedlung am Seepark“ (“Stusie”). In „Stusie“ you will also have the possibility to rent single apartments, if you prefer living by yourself.

  • Please let us know your housing preferences by ticking the correct box in your application form
  • If you do not want to be enrolled in student housing by the „Studierendenwerk Freiburg“, you are responsible to look for a room / apartment by yourself. Following links might help you: www.wg-gesucht.de, http://zypresse.com/

Related questions:

How will my dorm room be equipped?

  • Bed with mattress
  • Desk + chair
  • Wardrobe
  • Shelf

You can either bring your own pillow, blanket and sheet or you can purchase a starter package laundry.

How will the kitchen be equipped?

The equipment of your kitchen depends on the group of people you are living with and their available equipment. If you live in a single apartment you need to buy your own dishes, cutlery, cookware etc. Low-price cookware and more utensils may be found at IKEA or on flea markets. A starter package kitchen can also be purchased here.

Whom am I going to live with?

At the student residences in Kunzenweg on campus you will live together with other German or international students. 3-5 students usually live in an apartment, in which you will share the kitchen and bathroom.

At the student residences in StuSie you will also live together with other German or international students. The shared apartments here consist of 3 to 11 students and you will share the kitchen and bathrooms as well.

About 700 - 800€ per month (rent for a dorm room on average:  300 - 350€ / month)

You will find more information about dorms and student residences here.

Usually you will register for your classes when you are in Freiburg and after taking the language test. Prior to this, you need to have a look at our course catalogue and fill out a learning agreement (as an ERASMUS-student). The learning agreement, which has to be uploaded on Mobility-Online, needs to be signed by your home university. It will then be signed by Ms Salzmann. If something regarding your ECTS credits or classes changes after you arrived to Freiburg, please talk to your home university’s coordinator. Upload your changed Learning Agreement in the section „During the Mobility“. The changes will be signed by all parties (you / your home university / PH Freiburg) and uploaded to Mobility Online.

Timetables for re-registering students:

Choose your classes on LSF and click on „apply“ to apply for a course. Please keep the application deadlines in mind and wait for an e-mail that informs you that you may now check your timetable on LSF. If accepted to a class, you will see „ZU“, which means you are officially enrolled in the class.

You will receive your Confirmation of Stay at the end of your stay abroad. Please inform Ms Salzmann about your exact arrival and departure dates and hand in the respective document of your home institution.

During our orientation week, we will test your language proficiency in German and / or English. Based on the results, you will be able to select your courses.

Please note that you need a level of at least B2 in order to enrol in all of our offered classes. In case of a lower level, you will be able to choose classes out of our special offer for international students.

Please contact Ms Salzmann for further information. She will send you a document that you need to fill out and send back to her. When in Freiburg, you need to contact the school placement office and let them know which days of the week you will be able to go to a school. 30 hours in school equal 1 ECTS. If you need 3 ECTS credit points for your internship you will need to prepare lessons and teach at your respective school. Please find a more detailed chart about ECTS credit points here:


For more information (in German) visit the school placement office's website.

The school placement office is located in KG II, room 218/219; contact: Annerose Schneider or Eva Wystrach; phone number: 0761 682-283 or 0761 682–284.

If a placement is not possible, we might arrange an individual solution for you (visiting a school and participating as an observer). The International Office may help you to explore this possibility during the Orientation Week.

  • EU-Citizens: 20h / week (coverage by German health insurance is obligatory)
  • NON-EU-Citizens: 120 full working days / year

Please keep in mind that internships and unpaid jobs count towards the full working days!

If you have any further questions please contact Ms. Salzmann

Download material

Arrival at Freiburg Main Station

Finding your way to Kunzenweg

Check-In Kunzenweg