Since its establishment in 2014, we could complete numerous projects. Here you can inform yourself about completed and new projects.
HOPE – German-Afghan-University Collaboration
The cooperation with Gawharshad University, which began in 2014 and was intensified in 2021 through a German-Afghan university cooperation project, could be continued in 2022 thanks to the support of the German Academic Exchange Service with funds from the German Foreign Office.
In this project, two of the previous focus areas could be continued and two new focus areas could be added as a response to the changed situation.
First, the focus is on improving academic writing skills through the establishment of a writing center and the training of writing consultants. Secondly, based on the needs analysis of the STEWS project, the certificate for higher education didactics could be modified and finalized to fit the new conditions in the academic higher education landscape in Afghanistan after the Taliban took over power. Lecturers are trained in a train-the-trainer approach and empower other lecturers in a certificate program adapted to the latest findings of teaching research, existing examples of good practice, and expressed wishes.
In addition, a second focus is on cooperation with Afghan scientists who came to Germany. On the one hand, a network will be established to support them in various matters (integration-related, private, professional, and scientific). On the other hand, a Working Group Afghanistan will be established at the University of Education Freiburg, which will bundle the manifold activities concerning Afghanistan and where different activities such as lectures, advanced training, and joint research activities will be implemented.
You will find recurring information on current activities here.
Participating universities, staff, and partners
PH Freiburg: Prof. Dr. Uwe H. Bittlingmayer, Dr. Stefanie Harsch, Dr. Gerd Bräuer, Marion Degenhart
Gawharshad University Kabul: seven colleagues
Afghan researchers in Germany: Prof. Dr. Mohammad Jawad Salihi, Dr. Baqer Zaki
Proud to announce our Conference – on December 10th, 2022.
Please join us online or onsite.
More information here. Please register.
STeWS - German-Afghan-Research Project
Afghan-German university cooperation, supported by the DAAD with funds from the AA.
The objectives are
- promoting teaching skills through the development of a certificate on university didactics at the GU
- promoting writing skills and establishing a writing center at the GU
- planning and implementation of events on peace education for students from Germany and Afghanistan.
- conducting a study on peace education at Afghan universities.
- strengthening the collaboration between Afghan and German universities – at all levels.
Project time: 01.01.2021-31.12.2021
- University of Education Freiburg: Prof. Dr. Uwe H. Bittlingmayer, Stefanie Harsch, Gerd Bräuer etc.
- Gawharshad University Kabul: Dr. Mohammad Salehi, Khatira Khorrami, Sharif Akbari, Farkhonda Arshan, Ali Aeen,
- University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland: Prof. Dr. Diana Sahrai
Inclusive Peace in Afghanistan and the Role of Higher Education
When: December 15th, 2021, Where: hybrid and at the University of Education Freiburg
Information, Registration and Flyer
You are warmly invited. See you there.
Completed Research Projects
- 2022: HOPE: German Afghan University Collaboration
- Since 2019: Research on Transnationalism
- Since 2018: SCURA: Promoting Health Literacy of migrants in German-second-language courses
- 2021: STeWS: Strengthening Teaching and Writing Skills.
- 2020: Avicenna University: Parental Involvement in Early Literacy Development (Report)
- 2019-2021: CERSO: Center for Evaluation Studies at Shuhada Organization. Training to improve impact evaluation skills.
- 2020: CERSO 4-week long Impact Evaluation Training
- 2019: Two scholarship holders of Gawharshad University at University of Education Freiburg, supported by Baden-Württemberg-Foundation
- 2019: Research Stay of Sharifa Jawid, study on transnationalism
- 2019: Finalizing and publishing of Anthology "Education and Development in Afghanistan. Challenges and Prospects"
- 2018: "Developing Teaching Methods Internationally" - Stay of lecturers of Gawharshad University at University of Education Freiburg
- 2017: Research about Health Literacy in Afghanistan
- 2016: Summer School zu Health Literacy, Workshop on Health Literacy in Afghanistan
- 2016: Study on Health Promotion in Afghanistan
- 2015-2018: ELMI - ethnographic study on Health Literacy of refugee youth from Afghanistan in daily life.
- 2016: Research on Afghan German NGOs in Afghanistan
- 2015: Conference: Teacher Education in Afghanistan - Challenges and Prospects